Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Beautiful Halloween

    I walked into the Halloween store the other day.  Bad idea.  I actually went in for some white hair color spray for a Christmastime photo shoot, but I looked around a bit first.  It wasn't the headless bodies and body-less heads and zombie babies that bothered me, though.  It was the costumes for girls that made me shake my head in amazement.  


  Oh, some of the costumes for guys were cringe-worthy, too.  I saw a 'Boob Inspector' costume and a genie costume with the lamp to be rubbed strategically placed for optimum inappropriateness.  But, at the very least, these were in the adult section of the store and the costumes only came in adult sizes.  


  Scattered throughout the rest of the store were the costumes for children, and the costumes for girls of all ages.  This is where I found the playboy bunny costume, the barely-dressed nurse costume, the barely-dressed policewoman costume, and the Dorothy's dress patterned underwear (yes, just the underwear) from Wizard of Oz.  There were also costumes for barely-dressed firefighters, barely-dressed librarians, barely-dressed cheerleaders, and...well, you get the picture.  


  I know, I know, this is an old rant.  But I think it's worth a re-rant!  Because it's not only the store that is to blame, it's us.  Women.  We're buying this junk, we're freezing our barely-covered bottoms off on Halloween night.  And apparently we're buying it for our daughters, too, because very many of these costumes came in junior sizes.  Why?  Because on a night when women and girls can be anything, we want to be pole-dancers having a career day?  


  Ok, I'll climb down now, and just show you a few pictures of our little Halloween beauties.  Ava (at the top of the post) as Wonder Woman. Now the original WW herself wasn't a big fan of covering up, (and have you seen the new WW?  Sheesh!) but Ava's mom (and the photographer) made sure Ava displayed the power and fun that is Wonder Woman with age-appropriateness!  



And here's our little Grace as Peter Pan, worrying about that crocodile!  Super-cute!


  
And Abigail as Hello, Kitty!  


  Anyway, ranting aside, tell us, what were you for Halloween?  And if you don't agree with me about the barely-there career outfits, tell me why.  I'm open to hearing the other side! 

1 comment: