Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Beauty: A Husband's View

Today's post is special because it is the first post on Just the Girls: Real Beauty that has been written by a man.  Terry is a law student who is madly in love with his beautiful wife, Danielle.  Here he is, telling you what makes her beautiful!  (By the way, I think she's beautiful, too!  She's a great new friend, she's helpful, crafty, and an awesome dessert maker!)




This is my wife, Danielle.  It’s not easy to be Danielle, but she makes it look that way.  I’m a full time law student.  If you know any law students, then you know that I’ve been essentially absent these last couple of years, but Danielle has been and continues to be incredibly supportive of me while also ensuring that our children are cared for, safe, well-fed, appropriately dressed and happy – and that all those things happen in a house that is clean, safe, decorated and attractive.  (Incidentally, I was initially wary of talking about law school in this post, but so much of our lives revolve around it and the way she deals with all its consequences is a large part of Danielle’s beauty that I had to talk about it.)  In all her “free time,” Danielle manages to run an internet business, take on-line classes for a second bachelor’s degree, deal with our two pesky dogs and run our kids’ taxi service.  It makes me tired to think about, but this is her life, one that she chose and she wouldn’t have it any other way (except for maybe a maid).

Danielle tells me all the time that she doesn’t feel as though she lives up to the “Proverbs 31 Woman” standards.  She is far too harsh on herself.
   She is an excellent wife and is far more precious to me than any jewels.  I trust her implicitly with our children, our finances, her decisions and our safety.  I have success only because of her.  Every day (even when she feels sick), she is good to our children and me by working with willing hands from before sunrise (when Jackson wakes) until far after sunset (when Danielle finishes her homework).  Without any complaints, she has dinner ready every night when I arrive home.  She dresses herself and our children appropriately and modestly even when that isn’t the norm or in style any more.  She produces good and valuable crafts for sale and runs her business efficiently.  She is charitable to those in need with her time and skill.  She is strong when it is needed and laughs freely, even in times of stress.  She is never idle and looks after our house with the organizational skill of a CEO and the patience of a stone.  Our children love Danielle dearly and tell her so.  Her works will praise her in the gates.  She fears and loves our Lord without reservation.  Someday, I will “give you the fruit of your hands” and that fruit will be another red Jeep Wrangler.

To Danielle:  Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.   You are my wife, and you are a Proverbs 31 wife, whether you set out to be one or not.

And (on top of everything else) you’re beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment